Tampa General Hospital
"Hold your head high with self confidence."
WHAT DO YOU DO?
I am a graduate student (Information Systems Major) looking forward to building professional experience and contributing to the tech world.
WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THIS FIELD?
I've chosen to be an engineer because I thought it would be a lot of fun! Engineering is the field that solves the most impactful of our problems in the world, like creating clean energy or detecting cancer. As engineers, we are constantly changing the world with inventions and solutions that affect everyone's lives. We get to dream up all the coolest gadgets, then we get to go into the lab and actually make them. I am still learning everyday about what makes the world tick, like how television screens make an image or how air bags know when to inflate. We use the materials that surround us in the world to communicate long distances or visualize an atom, which sounds a lot like magic. Engineers are like the wizards of our society; everyone wants them to fix their problems, and no one is quite sure how they came up with the solution. Being an engineer is fun because I get to use magic to create things every day. One day, I'll make something that can help change the world, and that's why I want to become an engineer.
HOW DO/DID YOU TACKLE OBSTACLES?
1. Reinforce a positive outlook
2. Ask questions to understand the problem.
3. Be open-minded
4. Look down on a problem.
5. Define the problem completely
6. Take bite-sized chunks
7. Find similarities and think logically
8. Focus on the end game
9. If you don't find success, start over
10. Be honest and realistic
WHAT DO YOU LOOK AT & THINK, "I WISH YOUNGER ME WOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS WAS POSSIBLE?"
1. Life is good. Not always, but mostly. And when it is not so good, be assured it will get better.
2. It’s a good thing that we don’t know everything that’s going to happen to us. If I had known all the pains and heartaches I would encounter in life, even amidst the joys and victories, it would surely have been too much to bear.
3. If you tend to be shy, try your best to overcome it. Take it a step at a time, but work at it. It is a gift to get to know new people, especially those who are different from you in some way, culturally, ethnically, religiously. Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone may be painful for a time, but the benefits are everlasting.
4. Your hard work in school will be worth it. But come on, don’t kill yourself.
5. It may not be easy to stand up and speak out for what’s important to you, but you will be amazed how empowering, and important, it can be.
6. Keep exercise, eating well, and healthy living in balance. Schedule rest and recreation regularly. The older you get, the more you’ll understand why.
WHY DO YOU LOVE WORKING IN STEM?
I would love to be a part of the STEM community and initiate, motivate and facilitate more and more woman like me to take up STEM education and courses to achieve great accomplishments in the tech world.
BEST ADVICE FOR NEXT GENERATION?
1. Leverage Your Life Experience
2. Make a Human Connection
3. Time Management is very crucial
4. Community Development
5. Stay on task
6. Hold your head high with self confidence
7. Build a support system and use it
Success is not final, failures are not fatal; It is the courage to continue that counts